Another police officer shot.
Another event that requires you to rethink everything that you know about feeling safe and secure. The decision to go get more target practice, for instance, is one way that people can make themselves feel less anxious and worried when you see the news. From body armor plates to tactical gear, there are many more people who are looking for ways to make sure that they are able to protect themselves and their property.
Today’s Tactical Gear and Other Supplies Help Property Owners Feel Safe and Secure in Their Own Homes
Difficult times often call for drastic measures, and in a time when there are many people who are fearful about the amount of violence in today’s world it should come as no surprise that there are an increasing number of people who are signing up for target practice, self defense courses, and other things that make them feel more safe no matter what the surroundings.
Police officers seem to be the most at risk as the news continues to report on police shootings and other dangerous situations. As a result, police departments across the country are updating the tactical gear that they have. Even the smallest police crews are making the decision to buy body armor so that their officers are safer when they are on the job. Fortunately, as some of the largest police forces upgrade the protection materials that they have, they often offer their old equipment at a discounted price to smaller forces.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the dangers that police officers find themselves in on a daily basis and the efforts they are taking to make sure that they are as safe as possible:
- 87 police officers in New York City alone have been saved by body armor since 1978.
- For officers who do not wear armor vests, the chance of dying from a gunshot wound to the torso is 3.4 times higher than for officers who are wearing vests.
- 66 law enforcement officers were criminally killed in the line of duty in the year 2016, according to FBI data.
- During the last decade there were nearly 60,000 assaults a year on police officers, acording to government data.
- 33 law enforcement officers were feloniously killed with their own weapon in the last 10 years, according to the FBI.
- Armor vests have saved the lives of more than 3,000 law enforcement officers over the past 30 years.
Hopefully the next time that we hear about another police officer being shot we will also hear that officer was wearing enough protective gear that no loss of life occurred. Target practice is one way to make sure that every officer is prepared when they need to defend themselves, but tactical gear is way to protect officers when they are shot at.